Are environmental toxins the ROOT cause of your health decline?
How do you protect yourself from ongoing exposures, read on to find out HOW!
Each day we are exposed to an unprecedented number of toxins, including heavy metals, pesticides, micro-plastics, industrial chemicals and food additives. We can find them in our cleaning products, our personal care products, the food we eat, the water we drink, the furniture we use and even dust.
This is important because environmental toxins can affect every part of our body, and have even been linked to diseases including cancer, respiratory diseases, neurological diseases, thyroid issues, diabetes and obesity.
The best way to reduce the risk of toxic overload is to reduce your exposure and enhance your body’s natural detoxification systems.
Top tips for avoiding environmental toxins
- Use ceramic containers or top food with a plate to store.
- Always take food out of plastic containers to reheat.
- Use 100% naturally derived cosmetics and skin care products.
- Make your own body cream and hair care products using a natural based moisturiser or castile soap and add essential oils.
- Ensure you drink only filtered water. Tap water is full of chemicals, which can affect thyroid function, cause skin problems such as dermatitis, and block very important minerals in our bodies.
- Eat foods that are non-processed, fresh, organic and non-GMO.
- Try to grow your own veggies and fruit. Even a small veggie patch can provide seasonal fresh supply all year through.
Top tips to reduce toxicity
- Use non-commercial cleaning products and make your own, using bi-carb soda, vinegar and essential oils. You can also make your own hand wash, shampoo, conditioner and room spray.
- Try using a microfibre cloth such as Enyo, which are reusable.
- Don’t heat plastic containers and avoid non-stick cookware. These contain carcinogenic byproducts, which are released into our food when heated. Cast iron and stainless steel are excellent to use.
- Keep glass jars and re-use them to store food.
- Check labels for products that don’t contain BPA and phthalate products, which are two acids that are known to cause oxidative stress on our cells. A change to our cells such as this can results in increased infertility risk and cancer, amongst other things.
- Support gut health and elimination pathways. Probiotic and fibre rich foods keep our immune system strong. Include foods such as kefir and sauerkraut, and eat plenty of vegetables to help feed your gut’s microbiome. Make sure you drink plenty of water to help flush the kidneys.
- Detoxification support is helpful with certain herbs, juicing, minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients (coloured fruit and veg). Where you can, include infrared saunas and dry skin brushing to help unclog the lymphatic system.
- Produce clean air by installing an air filter such as HEPA in your vacuum cleaner and decorating your home with plenty of indoor plants. Don’t forget to open your windows every so often for air ventilation!
- Avoid consistent exposure to computers, mobile phones and wi-fi. Using the hands-free option, switching your wi-fi off at night and consciously reducing the usage of your mobile phone are all ways you can protect your cells from damage.
Foods to assist detoxification
- Lemon and limes alkalize the body and reduce latent acidity.
- Cruciferous vegetables help the liver to detox, and include broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale and cabbage.
- Avocado is rich in good fats and antioxidants, which help to protect the liver.
- Beetroot is high in manganese and vitamin C, and is an excellent antioxidant.
- Garlic assists liver detoxification.
- Turmeric is antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant.
- Blueberries, blackberries and green tea are some further foods that are high in antioxidants.
It’s easy to see that toxins are all around us. And while we may not be able to completely avoid them, we do have the power to make conscious decisions on how we consume, purchase and live. These simple choices all have a significantly lasting effect on the amount of toxins exposed to our body and our overall health.
At Hills Natural Health Centre, we have many different diagnostic screening tools to determine your risks/ exposure to environment toxins. Could these toxins be the cause of your poor health , infertility , brain fog, fatigue, compromised immune function ? Why not book a FREE scoping session with one of qualified Naturopaths today.